Women at Heart
A heart care program designed for women
Heart disease is the #1 killer of women. Let's change that.
Women at Heart at St. Vincent's Regina L. Cozza Center is a heart care program designed especially for the unique needs of women from diagnosis to education and treatment. So much can be done to lower risks, detect problems early, and treat them effectively. Everyone should know their numbers for cholesterol, sugar, blood pressure and BMI. Our cardiovascular experts are out in the community providing free or discounted screenings for under insured women and educational seminars to help women live healthier and decrease their chances of heart disease.
For more information call (203) 576-6119. Check our Events Calendar for upcoming Women at Heart Events.
More common than you think
More than 3 million women have a history of heart attack and more women than men die of cardiovascular disease each year. 23% of women and 18% of men will die within one year of a first recognized heart attack.
Symptoms of heart disease in women
- Women experience very different, and less typical symptoms than men.
- Shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, vomiting.
- Back or jaw pain, palpitations, cold sweat or paleness.
- Unexplained anxiety, weakness or fatigue.
- Mild flu-like symptoms.
- Trigger is often emotional.
For men symptoms are typically chest pain with nausea, sweating or shortness of breath, chest pressure, pain in the neck, shoulder and arms. Their trigger is often physical exertion.
Who is at risk?
- Cigarette smokers are 2-4 times more likely to develop heart disease than nonsmokers.
- Adult women with total cholesterol of 200 mg/dl. 46% of women have at least this level.
- Women with sedentary lifestyles. Only 32.7% of Caucasian women get regular physical activity.
- 59% of Caucasian women, 78% of Hispanic-American women and 75% of Hispanic-American women are overweight or obese.
- Diabetes is a powerful risk factor for heart disease in women.
The Women At Heart Fashion Show and Auction
Presented by St. Vincent's Medical Center Foundation
St. Vincent's Medical Center Foundation will host its 6th annual Women At Heart Fashion Show & Auction fundraiser hosted by Mitchells Stores in Westport on April 25th to benefit under served women in the area and to encourage attendees to be pro active in caring for their hearts.
In 2016, the event raised $100,000, which is the highest amount in the event's history. The funds raised will be used to help provide early detection, diagnosis, and proper treatment of heart disease to under insured women through St. Vincent's Regina L. Cozza Women at Heart Program.
Are you heart-healthy?
Take the FREE heart assessment today!Click Here »