Where To Start
Bariatric Surgery Information Seminars
Take the first step to a healthy lifestyle. Weight-loss seminars are the best place to learn more about bariatric surgery. Our expert weight loss surgeons will explain the procedures, address your concerns and answer questions.
St. Vincent’s weight-loss surgeons and surgical team are dedicated to helping patients like you meet your weight loss and quality of life goals. Surgical procedures are performed at St. Vincent's Medical Center, an approved MBSAQIP Accredited - Comprehensive Center.
It is required for all patients to attend our free Bariatric Surgery Information Seminar prior to being seen in the surgeon's office. Select a time and date that’s convenient for you.
Choose a date from the New Patient Bariatric Seminar schedule below, or call the Bariatric Coordinator at (203) 576-5431 to reserve a seat at the seminar you choose. If there are special circumstances that prevent you from attending a seminar, please contact the Bariatric Coordinator at (203) 576-5431.
What You’ll Learn
We’ll explain the program and process step by step. St. Vincent Medical Center’s Bariatric Surgery Seminar is presented by some of our weight loss surgeons and team members (such as the bariatric coordinator, physician’s assistant, office assistant or nutritionist).
You’ll also have the chance to talk to some of our “success stories,” as some of our post-operative patients regularly attend the seminar. They will answer your questions and share many of their helpful “been there and done that” insights.
At this seminar, we’ll give you two important documents and go over these in detail so that you can easily fill out the paperwork necessary for your weight-loss surgery:
- Bariatric Questionnaire: Details your past medical and diet history.
- Insurance Questionnaire: When preparing for bariatric surgery, it is important to understand the requirements and benefits of your individual insurance plan. It is your responsibility to call the number on the back of your insurance card or speak to Human Resources.
- Please check your plan specifically for Bariatric Benefits.
- Ask whether they cover weight loss surgery; do not ask if they cover a certain procedure.
- Approval from any insurance company is contingent upon your Body Mass Index (BMI) and is subject to change: All insurance companies require a BMI of 40 or higher. A BMI of 35+ may be allowed depending on the number and severity of the patient's related co-morbidities.
Schedule an Appointment with a Bariatric Surgeon
After the seminar, you’re ready to take the next step and meet with your Bariatric Surgeon. Please be sure to bring the following items:
- It is MANDATORY that you bring the completed Medical History and Insurance Questionnaires you obtained at the seminar. We need this for your evaluation and to obtain approval from your insurance company for surgery.
- Please bring your insurance identification card(s) and driver's license to the initial consultation.
During your initial consultation the surgeon will review the Bariatric Questionnaire and discuss weight-loss options. You can also obtain information by visiting the American Society for Bariatric Surgery.
Next Step: Pre-Surgery Consultations
Based on the surgical procedure you have chosen, your BMI (Body Mass Index) and past/current medical conditions, you may require additional consultations with these specialists to plan the best course for your weight loss surgery success. (If you are already under treatment by a cardiologist, endocrinologist, mental health counselor, etc., an additional consultation may be necessary.)
- Primary Care Physician (required)
- Mental Health Counselor or Psychiatrist (required)
- Nutritionist (required)
In addition to the above consultations, your bariatric surgeon may request additional tests such as these below as well as tests needed or recommended by the other medical specialists.
- Sleep Study
- Pulmonary Function Test
- Upper Endoscopy
- H. Pylori (blood test)
- Upper GI
- Ultrasound of the gallbladder
- Thyroid screen (blood test)
Get Ready to Work for Success
To be successful in your weight-loss surgery journey, you will need to commit to honesty, responsibility and cooperation.
- Commit to improving your health.
- Discuss your health history with your surgeon.
- Discuss any questions or concerns you have.
- Learn all you can about each procedure before making a decision.
- Follow all instructions on preparing for weight reduction surgery.
- Commit to following the nutrition, activity, and other care instructions given to you by your surgeon before and after surgery.
- Attend a pre-operative support group, and commit to attending the post-operative support services available.
LET’S GET STARTED ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY
Let the gentler hands of St. Vincent’s take care of your needs and help you achieve your health and wellness goals. Visit St. Vincent’s Medical Center’s Weight Loss Success Stories and discover first-hand how other people like you achieved their weight loss.
Sign up for a free bariatric information seminar, or call our Bariatric Coordinator at (203) 576-5431 for more information.
Weight Loss Surgery May Prevent Health Risks
Read about how Bariatric Surgery could help with DiabetesDownload Now »
Obesity and Health Risks
People who are obese have higher rates of medical problems such as HTN, DM, OSA, joint issues, even infertility. Read more about how weight loss surgery can help.Download Now »